REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
IMPORTANT: DUE TO I.R.S. REQUIREMENTS, EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE. IT WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU AFTER IT IS REVIEWED BY THE ADJUTANT.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Membership Committee:
1. Complete American Legion Membership application by clicking on "APPLICATION" button.
Print two (2) completed copies. Keep one copy for your records. Mail the other copy to the address on the form, together with your dues payment. (Dues amount on application). Applications are also available at the Post.)
2. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE PAPERS
3. Membership Dues Payment.
- Dues are $45.00 annually (once a paid member, you may apply for paid Up For Life or PUFL membership).
- Make checks payable to THE AMERICAN LEGION and mail to PO Box 56, Grandview WA 98930-0056.
- DO NOT SEND CASH.
- Call 509-882-1984 to make a secure credit card payment.
4. If the information is correct, membership will be approved and a membership card will be mailed to you.
5. Please see eligibility dates below.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
- Completed Member Data Form (or call 509-882-1984 to submit information)
- COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
- COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD (if available)
6. Membership dues payment, if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year's membership.
With the passage of the L.E.G.I.O.N. Act in 2019, membership in the American Legion is open to all veterans who must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below or any other period of time since December 7, 1941 and honorably discharged or still serving honorably.
(April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 - Today)* Operation Desert Shield / Desert Storm / War on Terror
(December 7, 1941 - Today)* All other conflicts or service periods not defined above
*Because eligibility dates remain open, all veterans and members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
For any questions please contact us by mail, phone or email.
Click on the "Application" menu button to the left for an online application form.